Wayne Joseph’s Blog

Running with the Big Dog

Aiea football coach Wendell Say arrested for assault, offers official statement

Aiea High School football head coach Wendell Say is releasing an official statement regarding allegations of him being involved in an assault, which was published in the Star-Advertiser.  The attached statement is being officially released through his attorney Lyle Hosoda, Esq.

Wendell Say Statement    I want to let my family, friends and the community know that there is no truth whatsoever to the recent allegations made against me in the newspaper. I was first called by the police on Monday, October 24, 2011 and was asked to come down to the police station. I voluntarily went by myself to the station on Tuesday, October 25, 2011. I have fully cooperated and complied with everything that the police asked of me.

When I got to the station, I was surprised because I was immediately booked and placed under arrest. The Detective told me that someone claimed that he had been assaulted at the Seven/Eleven Store in Aiea on October 9, 2011, and that individual identified me as the one who assaulted him. The Detective showed me a group picture of Aiea High School football coaches, and said that the victim identified me from the picture.

I explained to the Detective that I was never at the Seven/Eleven Store on October 9, 2011. Together with the police, we re-traced where I was throughout October 9, 2011. I was with my wife and daughter at home the entire morning tending to my daughter who was sick that day. I went to a coaches meeting in the afternoon, and then went to Sam’s Club to pick up groceries. I forgot my check book and had to call my wife, who drove down with my daughter to bring the checkbook.

I was asked by the police to go to Sam’s Club to get the receipt, which I did. It shows me and my wife and daughter checking out at 5:33 p.m.

From there, my wife got into her car, and my daughter got into my car with me, and we all drove straight from Sam’s Club at Pearl Highlands to our home in Wahiawa.

The police informed me that because my wife and daughter (who is an adult, but handicapped) are biased witnesses, that I was being arrested and charged with assault because I had no one else to confirm that I was not at the Seven/Eleven Store in Aiea at 6:15 p.m. I got my cell phone records, and have been seeking videotapes from Seven/Eleven, and any other evidence that will all show that I simply was not there.

I was completely surprised and shocked at my arrest. I work in the community and I work with law enforcement all the time. I believe in our system.

I have offered and will continue to offer my complete cooperation in this matter. I am sorry that a young man in our community apparently has been injured, but I had absolutely nothing to do with it. I have faith in our system and our community and know that my name and reputation will be cleared. I thank all of those family, friends, and the community for all of their support and aloha.


October 27, 2011 - Posted by | Events | , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: